Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 41

Thread: Altec Line Array

  1. #31
    Senior Hostboard Member
    Altec Line Array


    Old Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 23rd, 2003
    Posts
    6,359
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    62 Post(s)

    Re: Altec Line Array

    Moderately agree Earl. I do not agree it's an "advance".
    And you can count the number of manufacturers building well designed arrays without running out of fingers...on one hand.

    The chief appeal of arrays live is they are VERY fast to set up. And yes you are right, mostly it's the big arrays that sound best, though I heard a small Meyer array that was not bad.

    In a smaller install a trap system can often sound better than a small array. But the easiest solution is an array DSP'ed to death. Bad installers prefer the easy way.
    Your neighbors called. They like your music.

  2. #32
    Senior Hostboard Member Panomaniac's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 25th, 2006
    Posts
    1,811
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

    Re: Altec Line Array

    Shrug. I use Meyer arrays and live with it. Perfect? No. But they do the job at hand much better than most anything else.
    Soon I'll get to hear Tom Danely's Unity horns, which is and interesting new all horn approach. I'll let you know.

  3. #33
    Senior Hostboard Member
    Altec Line Array


    Old Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 23rd, 2003
    Posts
    6,359
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    62 Post(s)

    Re: Altec Line Array

    If I were still working, I'd be likely using arrays.

    My days of toting boxes are long gone. I just wanna be FIRMLY on record they are at most a phase the industry is going thru, they are NOT the ultimate speaker system. Convergence seems to feel the quest is over.

    It just works adequately so it's used, it's not used because it's wonderful, as I read some of the claims in this thread.
    Your neighbors called. They like your music.

  4. #34
    Senior Hostboard Member bowtie427ss's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 24th, 2006
    Location
    Rural NY
    Posts
    3,901
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    26 Post(s)

    Re: Altec Line Array

    it's not used because it's wonderful,
    well, i think in some instances it is used because it's wonderful to load in, load out, and the amount of real estate it doesn't occupy can also be wonderful.

    Now my common sense tells me that these wonders do not come without compromises somewhere.

    Without getting into sound quality, i would guess that the processing and related software dependance of these systems could be an achilles heel in instances where there's an "issue" and there is nobody available who is intimately familiar enough to remedy or find a fast workaround in time to save the show.

    Beyond this i totally agree with you OG, eventually i expect the professional line array will probably follow the path of may other developments we've seen come and go. Fellas can use them in their DJ rigs with their DAT's, minidiscs, and elcassettes.
    Not all vegetables make good leaders.

  5. #35
    Senior Hostboard Member VolvoHeretic's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 8th, 2011
    Location
    The Exact Center of North America
    Posts
    841
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Altec Line Array

    I predict that in the future, they will just hand out wireless headphones and be done with it.

  6. #36
    Senior Hostboard Member bowtie427ss's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 24th, 2006
    Location
    Rural NY
    Posts
    3,901
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    26 Post(s)

    Re: Altec Line Array

    Quote Originally Posted by VolvoHeretic View Post
    I predict that in the future, they will just hand out wireless headphones and be done with it.
    Reach a little further. They'll be little stick-on electrodes placed on your temples to directly electrically stimulate your brain, ears will be removed from the process.
    Not all vegetables make good leaders.

  7. #37
    Senior Hostboard Member LICORNE's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 23rd, 2004
    Posts
    1,603
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

    Re: Altec Line Array

    Quote Originally Posted by VolvoHeretic View Post
    I predict that in the future, they will just hand out wireless headphones and be done with it.
    They have FM Head phones for the hard of hearing.

    LINE ARRAYS

    They are labour intensive to set up.

    RTA tuning required.

    EQ tuning with headphones then with speakers at rehersal.Snap shot evry thing.

    Gates on drum kit.

    Sub group compressors only.

    All set to go Ready to raise the curtain.
    Last edited by LICORNE; May 25th, 2012 at 12:36 PM.

  8. #38
    Senior Hostboard Member GM's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 26th, 2002
    Location
    Chamblee, Ga.
    Posts
    4,967
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    48 Post(s)

    Re: Altec Line Array

    Quote Originally Posted by Panomaniac View Post
    Soon I'll get to hear Tom Danely's Unity horns, which is and interesting new all horn approach.
    When you planning on going? I haven't been up there since the Matterhorn build.

    GM
    Loud is Beautiful if it's Clean! As always though, the usual disclaimers apply to this post's contents.

  9. #39
    Senior Hostboard Member Panomaniac's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 25th, 2006
    Posts
    1,811
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

    Re: Altec Line Array

    I'll hear Tom's horns at Infocomm middle of next month, if not sooner. I may be able to borrow a pair to test in Hi-Fi mode. That would be a lot of fun.

  10. #40
    Senior Hostboard Member GM's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 26th, 2002
    Location
    Chamblee, Ga.
    Posts
    4,967
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    48 Post(s)

    Re: Altec Line Array

    Oops! Never mind. Indeed!

    GM
    Loud is Beautiful if it's Clean! As always though, the usual disclaimers apply to this post's contents.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.